Building & Timber
Increase your knowledge of the products you sell.
There are thirteen Building and Timber workbooks available:
- Building Interiors
- Cement Plaster
- Damp Proof Courses
- Drainage Below Ground
- Hard Landscaping
- Major Property Problems
- Manufactured Doors, Windows & Stairs
- Paint Systems & Wallcoverings
- Sustainable Building
- Tiles & Tiling
- Timber & Panel
Improve your knowledge to provide the relevant information on products and related methods.
Your customers will range from those who know exactly what they want to buy, to those who expect you to be able to offer relevant information directly related to their needs.
The greater your own personal understanding the more efficiently you will be able to provide the information required by the customer in order to purchase the appropriate product and understand the procedures and considerations related to the use of the products available.
For further information, see course details below.
We have partnered with Coursecheck which helps people to find highly-rated training courses by providing independent feedback from learners. This enables you to see what our customers say about us.
You will be provided with a hardcopy workbook, which contains the information, questions and project you need to complete to successfully achieve a certificate. By working through the workbook and answering the questions you will build on your knowledge and understanding of the workbook products. Finally, you will pull all your understanding together and complete a work based project.
Each workbook requires roughly 40hrs of effort but we recognise that most learners will also be balancing a day job and a home life. With this in mind we provide 90 days to complete the workbook.
- Increase your selling potential
- Improve your career prospects
- Improving your product knowledge
- Enhancing your customer contact skills
- Enhancing your awareness of customer needs
- Improve your confidence and develop your communication skills
If you successfully complete a full programme you will also receive a customised qualification.
Are you a building, electrical or heating and plumbing retail store, merchants or wholesalers owner /employer and want to:
- Increase your competitive edge (compete with online)
- Increase your reputation and customer retention
- Investing in your staff
- Improving your staff's product and customer care knowledge and skills
- Potentially improving staff retention through improved performance and job satisfaction
For each workbook you successfully pass you will receive a certificate for that topic
- Enrol and successfully pass two workbooks from the Building Foundation range and you will be awarded with a Foundation Award.
- Enrol and successfully pass two workbooks from the Workplace Induction, Electrical, Building and Timber, Heating and Plumbing or Climate Management range and you will be awarded with an Award.
- Enrol and successfully pass five workbooks from the Workplace Induction, Electrical, Building and Timber, Heating and Plumbing or Climate Management range and you will be awarded with a Certificate.
- Enrol and successfully pass ten workbooks from the Workplace Induction, Electrical, Building and Timber, Heating and Plumbing or Climate Management range and you will be awarded with a Diploma.
Aggregates & Blocks
This workbook will examine all aspects of aggregates and blocks including their properties and applications.
Bricks & Mortars
This workbook will consider in detail issues related to sustainability, energy efficiency and environmental concerns raised in connection with bricks and brickwork. This workbook will also look at some of the many types of bricks that are available.
This workbook will cover products involved in:
- Cavity Wall Insulation
- Insulation for floors
- Roof insulation
- Tanks (Cisterns), pipe and ducts
- Fire protection
This workbook will cover the following topic areas:
- Suspended ceilings
- Fire protection
- Raised access floors
- Tools and fixings
This workbook will examine the two major areas of
- Processes used to create cement.
The information in this workbook provides you with a sound working knowledge of both the products and applications for cement and plasters along with useful examples of the techniques and equipment used in this field.
Damp Proof Courses
This workbook will examine the two most important aspects of damp prevention in buildings:
- Damp-proof courses (DPCs)
- Roofing felts
Drainage Above Ground
This workbook will consider such products as:
- Rainwater gutters, downpipes and roof outlets
- Soil pipe systems, pipes and fittings
- Waste pipes, fittings and traps
- Overflow warning pipework systems
Drainage Below Ground
This workbook will examine the process and components involved in drainage below ground from the basic principles of drainage to the system fittings used.
Effective hard landscaping systems can enhance virtually any environment both:
There is a wide choice of landscaping components in a variety of:
This workbook will consider all aspects of kitchen design and use, from basic layout to available accessories.
Major Property Problems
This workbook examines the symptoms and causes of property problems and suggests remedies for some of the more commonly occurring problems.
Specific problems associated with:
- Doors and windows
will also be examined in detail.
Manufactured Doors, Windows & Stairs
This workbook will examine mass produced manufactured joinery products and ironmongery. The following products will be considered:
- Door frames
Paint Systems, Wallcoverings
This workbook will look at:
- Paint system basics
- Methods of application
- Preparation of surfaces
The following areas will be examined in detail:
- The basic requirements of all roofs
- Different roof shapes and their method of construction
- Different types of roof materials
- Loft insulation
- The preservation, storage and handling of roofing materials and products
This workbook will look at concerns related to the environment, sustainability and energy efficiency, the legislation passed as a result of those concerns and the products which are being introduced into the construction industry to comply with that legislation, in terms of
- Energy efficiency
Tiles & Tiling
This workbook will examine all aspects of tiles and tiling, ranging from the different types of tile available to associated products.
Timber & Panel
This workbook will look at all aspects of timber and panel products, ranging from the nature of timber to the metal products used in association with timber products.
If you or your company are a member of either the Electrical Distributors Association (EDA) or the Builders Merchants Federation (BMF) you can purchase either individual workbooks for £150 each or save money by purchasing multiple workbooks together.
For details of our ‘bulk buy’ options or non-member prices please get in touch on 0345 203 2103 or email email@example.com.
If you or your company is a member of the Electrical Distributors Association (EDA) or the Builders Merchants Federation (BMF) you will need to apply by completing the application form available on their website (links below).
- The Electrical Distributors Association (EDA) website
- The Builders Merchants Federation (BMF) website
If you or your company are not members of EDA or BMF please contact our programme consultant on 0345 203 2103 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org for prices and an application form.
We are part of the largest not for profit learning enterprise of its kind. This means we reinvest our resources to help you the learner, rather than pay dividends to shareholders.