The Chartered Management Institute (CMI) is the chartered body for management and leadership. They provide a range of qualifications for people in management and leadership roles, as well as mentorship and support for experienced managers and leaders in business.
CMI qualifications are highly sought after by employers and can make an individual 9% more employable, leading to additional earnings of £81,000 over a career.
CMI qualifications are the leading management qualifications you can achieve, and the only ones that lead to chartered manager status. CMI courses cover a wide range of management topics to ensure you develop all the skills you need to overcome challenges in management and leadership roles.
- Better understand your role as a manager
- Improve communication skills
- Improve decision-making skills
- Improve productivity and performance
- Manage change effectively
- Get impartial feedback on your abilities
- Boost team morale and confidence
What to consider when choosing a CMI course
There are several factors to consider when choosing which CMI course is best for you:
One of the biggest factors when choosing a CMI course should be how much management experience you already have. Those with little experience will likely benefit from a course that covers introductory topics like management principles and strategies whereas those with a wealth of experience will likely benefit from advanced management techniques.
Your career goals will also play a large part in choosing the right CMI course for you. Make sure you know why you want to do a course in the first place… Do you want to brush up on your skills? Solve a particular challenge you’re having? Improve your CV and get a more senior role?
CMI courses are available as single unit-awards, three-unit certificates or eight-unit diplomas meaning that you can choose how much to study based on what you want to achieve. For example, if you’re trying to improve your CV a diploma will look significantly more impressive than an award while an award will be more suitable for someone looking to solve a particular management challenge.
While it shouldn’t be the main factor when choosing a CMI course, we know that budget can ultimately influence your decision when choosing a qualification.
As a rule of thumb, the more advanced a qualification is or the more it involves, the more expensive it is. I.e. A diploma costs more than an award and Level 5 costs more than Level 3.
If you’re struggling with your budget but want to achieve a diploma you can always complete a few units at a time (as awards or a certificate) and complete the outstanding units required for the full diploma at a later date when you have the budget available.
What’s included in the cost of your CMI qualification?
- All your course materials – everything you need to achieve your qualification
- Access to our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) – study anywhere at any time
- Regular Interactive Webinars with multiple start dates to suit you
- Bespoke online Learning Journeys through CMI's new ManagementDirect portal
- Access to our industry expert tutors with a wealth of experience across multiple sectors.
Read more: How much do CMI Qualifications Cost?
At MOL Learn, we understand our learners have busy work and home lives. Our Live Online CMI courses fit around your other commitments – however you still need to ensure that you have the time available to complete your course.
Similarly to managing budgets, if you have time constraints for training, you may find it best to complete a CMI course with fewer units as these require less time to complete than a diploma. You can always complete the remaining units for your CMI diploma at a later date.
What CMI Courses are available?
CMI Level 3
CMI Level 3 qualifications in management and leadership are just right if you are at an earlier stage in your management career, if you don’t have much management experience, and are looking for basic management skills.
A CMI level 3 course is suitable for you if you are a front-line manager, for example a team leader or a project/resource manager. The course provides a broad range of knowledge on the principles of management and leadership and is a great choice if you’re looking to move into management or want to progress within your sector.
CMI Level 3 qualifications are available as an Award, Certificate or Diploma and are at a level equivalent to AS / A Levels or Level 3 BTECs.
At MOL Learn, we offer three options for CMI Level 3 qualifications:
- CMI Level 3 Award in Principles of Management and Leadership – this course (one unit of your choice) will give you a basic introduction to your new management role.
- CMI Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Management and Leadership – this course (three units of your choice) will help you to better understand your selected key areas within management and leadership.
- CMI Level 3 Diploma in Principles of Management and Leadership – choosing to study all eight units and achieving your Diploma will build your confidence by giving you a deeper understanding of management and leadership in the workplace.
CMI Level 5
A CMI Level 5 course is suitable for you if you’re already in a middle management role and looking to develop your core management skills or have previous management experience and are looking to boost your career prospects or gain chartered manager status.
If you’re a middle manager, our CMI Level 5 qualifications cover a range of advanced management and leadership techniques to help you take your career to the next level.
CMI Level 5 qualifications are available as an Award, Certificate or Diploma at a level equivalent to a HND or Foundation Degree.
At MOL Learn, we offer 3 options for CMI Level 5 qualifications:
- CMI Level 5 Award in Management and Leadership – this course covers one unit of your choice and helps you gain skills in your selected specific area of management and leadership.
- CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership –covers three units of your choosing to strengthen your skills and abilities as a manager.
- CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership – this course covers eight units all focused on advancing your management and leadership skills, so you become a confident and effective leader.
We understand management professional qualifications like no other training provider. That’s what makes our courses great.
Our tutors are management experts and use a wealth of experience to bring your learning to life. You’ll be encouraged to apply theory and models to your own workplace, meaning you can add immediate value at work by applying your learning directly to your role.
Ready to get your CMI qualification? Browse our CMI courses or call one of our Qualification Advisors on 03452 032 103. We’re happy to answer all your questions and help you make the best decision for you.
New to your management role? Check out our top tips for first time managers to help you feel more confident.